I’ve been blogging about association management since 2008 – and I was far from the first one into the pool. I remember participating in my first bloggercon at ASAE in a sunny plaza in San Diego in 2008, shortly after I’d launched Thanks For Playing, the precursor to the Spark blog, with about 30 other association professionals, sharing our thoughts about how to use this new platform to strengthen our industry and our community.
Eight years later, association professionals are STILL blogging – and podcasting – to help our organizations be the best they can be at helping our members and other stakeholders achieve their most important goals and solve their most pressing problems, serving the needs of the industries and professions we represent, and providing public benefit.
On Tuesday, July 19, KiKi L’Italian gathered a who’s-who of association bloggers and podcasters to #Assnchat about how things have changed in the past decade, how the platforms themselves have morphed, how the ways we use them have shifted, how our audiences and their goals have grown, and how to be effective in creating and sharing content.
Topics of debate and discussion included:
- How do you create posts that go viral (which included a major debate about PDFs: Evil v. Really, Really Evil)?
- What about the reverse: what happens when you love a story and no one else does?
- How do you market and promote posts successfully?
- How do you create good writing habits?
- What are your favorite tools for creating content?
- Why did you start creating and sharing content? How has that changed – or remained the same – today?
- How do you deal with on-the-spot tech glitches and problems (particularly relevant for podcasters)?
- How do you cover the cost of content creation? (Do you cover the cost?)
- How do you manage guest bloggers and other outside content contributors?
- How does content creation evolve over time?
- What impact have you had?
- Where do you get your inspiration?
Missed it? No worries: you can watch/listen to the whole thing online.
- Maddie Grant, SocialFish
- Ernie Smith, Associations Now, specializing in writing about tech
- Celisa Steele, Leading Learning podcast
- Beth Brodovsky, Driving Participation podcast
- Arianna Rehak, Association Success (online community with blogging component)
- Maggie McGary, Mizz Information
- Eric Lanke, Eric Lanke blog
- Jamie Notter, WorkXO
- And me!