Elizabeth Weaver Engel, M.A., CAE
CEO & Chief Strategist
I’ve been doing association management for more than 18 years, mostly focused on membership, marketing, and communications, but also touching on corporate sponsorship and fundraising, technology planning and implementation, social media and Internet strategy, budgeting, volunteer management, publications, and governance.
In the past 18 years, I’ve enjoyed success working for associations, producing significant membership growth, product sales increases, and fundraising success, and as a consultant, working with clients to ask the right questions, help them articulate and understand their problems, and work together towards solutions they can implement right away that will create positive change.
I love to ask the questions that help people find and implement creative solutions to their organization’s problems, particularly those that increase revenue, member engagement, and impact, and decrease costs. We can get there together through insight and a focus on the efficient and effective use of staff, information, good practices, and technology to serve your organization’s goals and constituents.
Before I launched Spark, I had the opportunity to consult in online campaigns and marketing and Internet and social media strategy for Beaconfire Consulting, and in a wide range of subject areas in association management in the not-for-profit consulting practice at RSM McGladrey, Inc. My direct association positions have included Director of Member Services and IT, Director of Marketing and Sponsorship, Vice President of Marketing, and Acting CEO.
I’m a Certified Association Executive, and I hold a Master’s degree in government and foreign affairs from the University of Virginia.
What makes Spark different?
What are Spark’s corporate values?
- I am a HUGE NFL fan, particularly of the Philadelphia Eagles, about whom I’ve been blogging since 2005.
- I’m also an avid foodie, food experimenter, and food blogger.
- I’ve never owned an automatic transmission car. True story.
- The weirdest job I’ve ever held? Wedding singer. Also a true story.
- Desert island album? Miles Davis, Kind of Blue.
- Desired superpower? Flight, no contest.
- Mac or PC? Mac. And iPhone. And iPad. And MacAir. Maybe I should’ve bought Apple stock?
- Coffee or tea? Both.
- Cats or dogs? Also both, but my spouse is a cat person, hence, cat.
- Most exotic place I’ve ever traveled? Morocco. I was there for two weeks with a friend and saw most of the northern half of the country (she’s a “14 cities in 3 days” type).
- Favorite place in the world? New Orleans. If you plan to visit, you owe it to yourself to pick my brain about where to stay, where to eat, and what to do while you’re there.
- Member, ASAE, 1997-present
- Marketing Section Council, ASAE, 2013-present (Chair, Content Generation Subcommittee, 2013-2015)
- YourMembership.com Learning Center contributor
- Association Universe contributor
- Membership Development Committee, ASAE-GW (2011-2013, Chair Retention & Engagement Task Force 2012-2013)
- Advisory Board Member, Young Association Professionals, 2010-2013
- Advisory Board Member, Engage365, 2012-2013
- Member, Young Association Professionals, 2008-2013
- Mentor, Leadership Academy for Young Professionals, ASAE, 2009-2010
- CAE Action Team, Greater Washington Network, ASAE (Member 2004-2010, Chair 2007-2009, Immediate Past Chair 2009-2010)
- Membership Section Council, ASAE (Member 2007-2010, Chair Knowledge Task Force 2008-2009, Chair Academic Outreach Task Force 2009-2010)
- Member, ASAE Ethics Committee, 2005-2006
- Winner, Association Social Media Sweet Spot award, June 18, 2010
- Judge, Association Media & Publishing EXCEL Awards, 2014
- Judge, ASAE Gold Circle Awards, 2013
- Judge, ASBO Eagle Awards, 2008, 2009
- Judge, American Advertising Federation Addy Awards, 2002-2006
- ASAE Future Leader, 2004
- Organizer, Scholarly Societies Membership, Marketing and Technology Roundtable, 1999-2004