Where can I hear Elizabeth Engel?
Are you looking for a dynamic speaker to fire up your volunteers? Do your chapter leaders need training in how to support your association’s recruitment and retention efforts? Would you like to inspire the attendees at your users’ group meeting? Would you like your staff to learn how to make better decisions, work more effectively with your volunteers, or develop a customer relationship management mindset?
Participant quote, MarComm Makeovers session:
Best session of the conference. Elizabeth was engaging, it was interactive and relevant to analyze what other associations are doing in their marketing efforts.
Hire Spark to create and deliver a content-rich and compelling presentation or lead a highly interactive and effective training program at your next event.
Catch me at
- “Include” is a Verb: Maximize Member Engagement Through Inclusion, ASAE Marketing, Membership & Communications Conference, May 2017
- Conversation Is King: Next-Gen Content Strategies for Associations, ASAE Marketing, Membership & Communications Conference, May 2017
Participant quote, Mission Driven Volunteer webinar:
The session was GREAT!! I learned so much and it gave me so much to think about.
New! from Spark and Alcorn Associates Management Consulting:
The Association Role in the New Education Paradigm (PDF), August 2016
A crisis is brewing in the global education-to-employment system. Higher education is experiencing massive disruption due to decreasing public funding, rising student debt, and fundamental disagreements between students and educators about the purpose and value of a four-year degree.
At the same time, one-third of employers report struggling to find qualified workers, and what those workers are missing is 21st century skills: critical thinking, problem solving, oral and written communications, teamwork, ethical conduct, decision-making, and the ability to apply knowledge.
In The Association Role in the New Education Paradigm, Shelly Alcorn and Elizabeth Engel review the substantial body of research on the changes occurring in both education and employment and argue that associations are uniquely positioned to bridge that education to employment gap, for both young people and experienced workers who are retraining for new careers. How people work and how we learn are both going to look radically different in the not-so-distant future, and we believe associations have a critical role to play in transforming both. In the whitepaper, we highlight the advantages associations have in this arena, share stories of associations who are doing good work serving their professions and industries in this way, and provide practical advice for associations that are ready to get started changing the way their stakeholders learn and work.
Check out the other Spark whitepapers, too. All are free, and you don’t even have to give me your name, email, and firstborn child to get them.
- Innovate the Lean Way: Applying Lean Startup Methodology in the Association Environment (PDF), co-authored with Guillermo Ortiz de Zarate, Director of Information Systems, National Council of Architectural Registration Boards, October 2015
- Leading Engagement from the Outside-In: Become an Indispensable Partner in Your Members’ Success (PDF), Spark/The Demand Networks, May 2015
- Getting to the “Good Stuff”: Evidence-Based Decision Making for Associations (PDF), Spark/Mariner Management whitepaper, April 2014
- Risk: The Missing Link Connection Strategy to Implementation (PDF), Spark/Croydon Consulting/JamieNotter.com whitepaper, March 2014
- The Mission Driven Volunteer (PDF), Spark/Mariner Management whitepaper, August 2013
- Member Relations: An Association-Centric Approach to Customer Relationship Management (PDF), Spark whitepaper, April 2013
- Attention Doesn’t Scale: The Role of Content Curation in Membership Associations (PDF), Spark whitepaper, November 2012
Like what you read? Wish your organization could turn out whitepapers, articles, and blog posts like this? You can – you can hire Spark to do it for you! Whether you’re looking for a regular blog columnist, feature articles for a print or online publication (see below), or a longer whitepaper based on secondary or even primary research, Spark has you covered.
- Bridging the Education to Employment Gap, Associations North Focus, December 2016
- Top Association Management Predictions for 2017, Aptify ebook, November 2016
- Strategic Planning? Strategic Thinking!, Mississippi Society of Association Executives, Connection, Fall 2016
- Member Engagement: It’s Not About You, Midwest Society of Association Executives, Focus, July 2015
- Getting to the “Good Stuff”: The Right Members for Membership Growth, American News Report, April 2015
- Quoted in Tracking Member Engagement, Member Suite, April 2015
- Creating a Strategic Plan of Action, Association News, April 2015
- Retention is a Relationship, Association TRENDS, January 2015
- Avoiding the False Positive, Midwest Society of Association Executives, Focus, October/November 2014
- Shoestring Marketing, Association Executives of North Carolina, SUCCESS, September/October 2014
- The Mission Driven Volunteer, Direct Marketing Association of Washington, AdVents, September 2014
- Micro-Volunteering: Large Membership Returns, Association FORUM, FORUM, August 2014
- Do You Know How To Be a Member?, Midwest Society of Association Executives, Focus, July 2014
- Quoted in Three Keys to Inspire New Ideas from Staff, Associations Now, July 2014
- The Mission Driven Volunteer, Midwest Society of Association Executives, Focus, June 2014
- Quoted in Sift Skills: The Value of Big Data for Associations, Associations Now, June 2014
- Quoted in Let Your Member Data Show You the Way, Associations Now, April 2014
- Quoted in It’s Easy Being Green, Informz ebook, January 2014
- Are You a Student or an Attendee?, Association TRENDS, January 2014
- Why Is Membership the Only Relationship?, Aptify Blog, January 2014
- The Three Keys to Great Presentations (with Ed Barks, Barks Communications), Georgia Society of Association Executives, Connections, Summer 2013
- The Looming Retirement Crisis, Association TRENDS, July 2013
- Can’t Live Without…, ASAE, Associations Now, July 2013
- Strategic Planning? Strategic Thinking!, Midwest Society of Association Executives, Focus, June 2013
- Quoted in Leveraging Trade Associations for B2B Marketing, SmartBrief whitepaper, May 2013
- Dollars & Sense: Marketing on a Shoestring Budget, California Society of Association Executives, The Executive, May/June 2013
- Transforming Your Events, Texas Society of Association Executives, Association Leadership Magazine, March/April 2013