Where can I hear Elizabeth Engel?
Are you looking for a dynamic speaker to fire up your volunteers? Do your chapter leaders need training in how to support your association’s recruitment and retention efforts? Would you like to inspire the attendees at your users’ group meeting? Would you like your staff to learn how to make better decisions, work more effectively with your volunteers, or develop a customer relationship management mindset?
Participant quote, MarComm Makeovers session:
Best session of the conference. Elizabeth was engaging, it was interactive and relevant to analyze what other associations are doing in their marketing efforts.
Hire Spark to create and deliver a content-rich and compelling presentation or lead a highly interactive and effective training program at your next event.
Catch me at
- Membership Development course, ASAE Association Management Week, January 2018
- Bridging the Education to Employment Gap, CalSAE ELEVATE, March 2018
- Steal Like a Fundraiser, Wild Apricot webinar, March 2018
- Steal This Idea!, ASAE Marketing, Membership & Communications Conference, May 2018
Participant quote, Mission Driven Volunteer webinar:
The session was GREAT!! I learned so much and it gave me so much to think about.
New from Spark!
Membership associations and fundraising charities are two sides of the nonprofit coin, but we often operate in complete isolation from each other. That’s unfortunate, because while associations do a lot of things well, there are some things that fundraisers do better that we could learn and benefit from. The association industry’s operating landscape is shifting rapidly and in unpredictable ways, and association executives don’t have all the answers.
In Steal Like a Fundraiser, Sohini Baliga and Elizabeth Engel share some of the secrets of fundraisers related to earning and cultivating relationships, creating compelling and effective campaigns, and attracting young professionals. We draw on our combined 40-plus years of experience with nonprofits, and on the stories of successful charities and associations, to show why it’s important, at least at times, to turn outside the association industry to see what other organizations are doing to attract audiences, particularly younger audiences; to build relationships with those audiences on their terms, not the organization’s terms; and to recognize their contributions equitably and make people feel known, heard, special, and appreciated.
The whitepaper also includes:
- Sidebars from John Haydon and Beth Kanter
- An interview with Shonali Burke
- Case studies from Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company, the Computing Technology Industry Association, New Endeavors by Women, the CFA Society Minnesota, and the Capital Area Food Bank
Check out the other Spark whitepapers, too. All are free, and you don’t even have to give me your name, email, and firstborn child to get them.
- Include Is a Verb: Moving from Talk to Action on Diversity and Inclusion (PDF), co-authored with Sherry Marts, PhD, S*Marts Consulting, May 2017
- The Association Role in the New Education Paradigm (PDF), co-authored with Shelly Alcorn, CAE, Alcorn Associates Management Consulting, August 2016
- Innovate the Lean Way: Applying Lean Startup Methodology in the Association Environment (PDF), co-authored with Guillermo Ortiz de Zarate, Director of Information Systems, National Council of Architectural Registration Boards, October 2015
- Leading Engagement from the Outside-In: Become an Indispensable Partner in Your Members’ Success (PDF), co-authored with Anna Caraveli, PhD, The Demand Networks, May 2015
- Getting to the “Good Stuff”: Evidence-Based Decision Making for Associations (PDF), co-authored with Peter Houstle, Mariner Management, April 2014
- Risk: The Missing Link Connection Strategy to Implementation (PDF), co-authored with Jamie Notter and with Leslie White, Croydon Consulting, March 2014
- The Mission Driven Volunteer (PDF), co-authored with Peggy Hoffman, CAE, Mariner Management, August 2013
- Member Relations: An Association-Centric Approach to Customer Relationship Management (PDF), April 2013
- Attention Doesn’t Scale: The Role of Content Curation in Membership Associations (PDF), November 2012
Like what you read? Wish your organization could turn out whitepapers, articles, and blog posts like this? You can – you can hire Spark to do it for you! Whether you’re looking for a regular blog columnist, feature articles for a print or online publication (see below), or a longer whitepaper based on secondary or even primary research, Spark has you covered.
- Boost Your Innovation Efforts With Lean Startup, California Society of Association Executives, The Executive, forthcoming
- Membership 101: The Ladder of Engagement, Texas Society of Association Executives, Association Leadership, forthcoming
- Quoted in Membership 101: Know Why Existing Members Joined, Membership Management Report, October 2017
- How To Move from Talk to Action on Diversity and Inclusion, California Society of Association Executives, The Executive, September/October 2017
- Membership 101: What IS “engagement,” anyway?, Association TRENDS, August 2017
- Quoted in Member Engagement: Examine Content Strategies, Membership Management Report, August 2017
- Bridging the Education to Employment Gap, Associations North Focus, December 2016
- Top Association Management Predictions for 2017, Aptify ebook, November 2016
- Strategic Planning? Strategic Thinking!, Mississippi Society of Association Executives, Connection, Fall 2016
- Member Engagement: It’s Not About You, Midwest Society of Association Executives, Focus, July 2015
- Getting to the “Good Stuff”: The Right Members for Membership Growth, American News Report, April 2015
- Quoted in Tracking Member Engagement, Member Suite, April 2015
- Creating a Strategic Plan of Action, Association News, April 2015
- Retention is a Relationship, Association TRENDS, January 2015
- Avoiding the False Positive, Midwest Society of Association Executives, Focus, October/November 2014
- Shoestring Marketing, Association Executives of North Carolina, SUCCESS, September/October 2014
- The Mission Driven Volunteer, Direct Marketing Association of Washington, AdVents, September 2014
- Micro-Volunteering: Large Membership Returns, Association FORUM, FORUM, August 2014
- Do You Know How To Be a Member?, Midwest Society of Association Executives, Focus, July 2014
- Quoted in Three Keys to Inspire New Ideas from Staff, Associations Now, July 2014
- The Mission Driven Volunteer, Midwest Society of Association Executives, Focus, June 2014
- Quoted in Sift Skills: The Value of Big Data for Associations, Associations Now, June 2014
- Quoted in Let Your Member Data Show You the Way, Associations Now, April 2014
- Quoted in It’s Easy Being Green, Informz ebook, January 2014
- Are You a Student or an Attendee?, Association TRENDS, January 2014
- Why Is Membership the Only Relationship?, Aptify Blog, January 2014
- The Three Keys to Great Presentations (with Ed Barks, Barks Communications), Georgia Society of Association Executives, Connections, Summer 2013
- The Looming Retirement Crisis, Association TRENDS, July 2013
- Can’t Live Without…, ASAE, Associations Now, July 2013
- Strategic Planning? Strategic Thinking!, Midwest Society of Association Executives, Focus, June 2013
- Quoted in Leveraging Trade Associations for B2B Marketing, SmartBrief whitepaper, May 2013
- Dollars & Sense: Marketing on a Shoestring Budget, California Society of Association Executives, The Executive, May/June 2013
- Transforming Your Events, Texas Society of Association Executives, Association Leadership Magazine, March/April 2013